Name:

Interesting - by all standards

Monday, December 18, 2006

To hang in there or to walk away?

Now that is one of those questions that I can never get a clear answer on...

I have really been thinking about what it takes to 'hang in there' and what it takes to walk way. This became an issue for reflection after my friend quit her job because she was too unhappy to be productive; when one of my friends told me she is too unhappy in her marriage but she does not know if she should leave; and when i heard another friend got engaged to her physically abusive boyfriend.

I have known women who 'hang in there' in unhappy marriages because it is the 'noble' thing to do and friends who 'hang in there' in unhappy jobs because something good might come out of it. How do we know when to walk away and when to hang in there? I am not a very patient person and I believe life is too short to be unhappy. Do i believe all days are happy days, NO! sometimes I want to spank my beau- and not in a good way, and sometimes i hope there will be surprise public holiday and I wont have to go to work.

Maybe we have been taught perseverance is the way to go, the noble way of life, the saintly way to live. I hear stories of people who have 'hang in there' and ended up being promoted, people who have 'hang in there' and their errant spouses saw the light. Granted, patience and perserverance has helped us in our lives and we have all seen the resultant fruits. But i have also heard of stories of workers who 'hang in there', and nothing came to naught. Spouses who hang in there and got infected with HIV or were violently killed.

What makes us hang in there? what makes us walk away? HARD PERSONAL QUESTION.
I salute all those who have had the courage to walk away and start afresh, leaving their jobs, spouses, and all that is familiar while not knowing what lies ahead. I also acknowledge my admiration for those who have the patience and hope to hang in there.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger mwasjd said...

It's sad when one hangs in for the wrong reasons, especially there's a great posibility of being hurt or killed. Life's too short to stay put in an unfavourable situation, though for life long committments such as marriage, that is easier said than done.

December 19, 2006 at 2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home