Name:

Interesting - by all standards

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

mrembo na culture shock

Every new experience comes with its own culture shock. It has been an interesting four and half months for me. Some things are starting to look kawaida to this girl so I must be adjusting. Here are lessons I have learnt so far:

•Things are not always as they meet the eye. The weird people may look more sane than me.
•People stay on the phone longer when in America. I cannot remember talking for more than ten minutes on the phone when i was in Kenya.
•If you are coming from the motherland (How some African Americans refer to Africa), you need more roughage. Almost everything here is processed.
•Be careful of who you compliment, they might think you are hitting on them.
•You do not unnecessarily wink at people. (Refer to above point)
•People here do not throw rounds in clubs unless they are very rich or they are pimping you out.
•Kenyans here are more inclined to weng even when it is pretty obvious they are shrubbing like crazy. (I still have my Kenyan accent)
•There is English and then there is American English. If you do not believe me, look at the language settings on your computer. Be sure to verify meanings!
•The more I know, the more I realize how much I do not know!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Acolyte said...

When in America people yap waaaaaaaay too much!
Rounds are non existant here in stato!
Kenyan wengs kill me esp the pathetic ones! They make me want to kill someone!
I do agree one needs to learn new terms everyday here.
Nice post!

January 16, 2007 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Juju said...

the phone thing... mostly coz phone bills in Ke are expe!
ditto on roughage, and the funny tumpots peeps develop-- very strange looking
the Kenyan twang--even after 2wks u hear peeps speak street! how? been here 5yrs, and I still sound like my sis who has never left Kenya..altho, I jua peeps who weng depending on who they are talking to

January 16, 2007 at 11:46 PM  
Blogger hwambuig said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 17, 2007 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger hwambuig said...

Acolyte: I like your blog. You are officially permitted to smack anyone with a fake weng!

Majonzi: I like your comments in other blogs. I like my accent, plus dudes seem to like it so I am not about to change it...

January 17, 2007 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home