Name:

Interesting - by all standards

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

what does a man want?

Yesterday was my first day of class this semester and I was sharing with my students something small about me. Yes, I love talking about me. I told them one of my role models is Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Prof. Wangari Maathai. She is a strong woman, by all standards. Other Kenyan women who have inspired me; my mum, my two sisters, and Muthoni Likimani. For the few who have no idea who Muthoni Likimani is, you can google her name.

I was relatively young (younger than I am now) when I read her 1974 narrative poem 'What Does a Man Want?'. That is the only book that I have read back to back on more than one occasion and thanks to me, my mum's copy looks old. (Anyone know where I can get a copy?)

This book, oh so interesting, entertaining and educational. It helped me look at life in a different way. The book was written in 1974 and when you read it today, you will still identify with the characters and realize that the issues we face are still the same issues that were there in 1974.

As I talk to my girlfriends, read other ladies' blogs, listen to my female student and watch female TV characters, I still do not get the answer to that question - What does a man want? The only person who came close to answering the question was my family studies lecturer in undergrad. She said that young women are more likely to get along with older men as the there is an emotional connection. (That is a topic for another blog), but it still does not answer the question; What does a man want?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kadinya said...

a man wants a woman that can tolerate him, not bitch around, submissive, beautiful, attractive, smart, well behaved, a mother to his kids, a good chef and good in bed too. that's all a man wants.

January 19, 2007 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger hwambuig said...

Great blog you have there Kadinya.

your response is a real eye opener on the conflicts i have with men.

Tolerate him-that means he has serious flows that I should put up with. Am not paid enough to do that...
Submissive-That word has like 100 definitions but I do remember some previous concerns that I was not submissive enough. I did not quite understand that...
A mother to his kids-Kids are nowhere near my plans...
Good chef-I can cook better than half the Kikuyu women, can bake when I want to and can serve breakfast in bed but what would that leave my maid doing?

Could this be the reason why,,,??? ah never mind

January 19, 2007 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger msanii said...

What? You ok with the maid serving me breakfast in bed?

March 31, 2007 at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home